Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Dare devil beckham & heart attack for mommy

So this past weekend we went camping with a group of our friends and all our kiddos. 

On day Brent took a nap so I took the kids to the pool with some of our other friends. I got them ready packed all the towels and floaties and had some seriously full arms as we walked to the pool. The kids walked good beside me.

I walked into the pool area by opening the gate. I held the gate open for the kids to get through while I fumbled with my arm full of stuff to close the gate I saw in the corner of my eye beckham had RAN as fast as he could and THROWN himself into the water. 

This would typically be ok.
This time however I was holding his floatie. He was sinking to the bottom. 

I threw EVERYTHING to the ground and dove in. Grabbed beckham and yanked him up. Laughter. He's laughing. (I'm crying) You're joking right? I'm traumatized...he should be traumatized, right?!

I gave him a big talk about safety and waiting for mommy. How we don't swim without floaties and how he needs to wait for mommy and ask mommy before jumping in.

Fast forward.

Two hours later. He's done swimming and blue from being freeeeeezing. I took him out. Gave him a towel. A snack. A cuddle. I turned to chat with my friend while he's sitting beside me. 

The horror.
He isn't beside me anymore.
He isn't in his floatie anymore because I took it off.

It's been about 30 seconds - 45 seconds. 

I jump in the pool again with my cloths. 
This time. My two year old is not at the bottom of the pool. He is fully doggy paddleing and keeping his head above the water (struggling to do so but 100% successfully doing it). Everyone around was so surprised because they saw him jump in and swimming so they didn't think anything of it...until I flung myself in to rescue him. 

I think my little boy needs a new rule. Anytime we are by water he needs to have a floatie on and NEVER take it off. Clearly he needs to fear water a little more. 

I left the pool that day feeling exhausted emotionally. Something about adrenaline and being so SO scared. 

It's amazing how QUICK something an happen. I'm so glad I was keeping an eye on him so closely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment