Monday, September 13, 2010

On my heart

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)
We Wear the Mask

WE wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!



-------------------------------------------

Okay, as of lately I feel like this poem speaks straight from my soul. I am my daughters mother ;) I am black and white, hot or cold, I don't like warm or gray. I live real, deep and genuine. I live meaningful and heartfelt. Sometimes all I need is a piping hot cup of tea and a good heart to heart and I can get threw all of the fakeness that the rest of the day can bring. Not that fake is bad. There is a place for it. No need to bare your soul to your Starbucks Barista but in the same way I think there is nothing more then being genuine with someone you love.



***another day, another chapter to add to the collection***



No comments:

Post a Comment